Friday, November 28, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jessi and JoAnn (Mom)
Getting an early start on dinner

Look at all that yummy food!

I hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving and got to eat lots of yummy food like we did. Zach and I spent Thanksgiving at my parents this year. My Grandpa Elmer, my cousin Scott and his wife Jamie and my brother Shawn and his kids were all there too. Troy, Larin and Heather headed to the in-laws this year. It was a pretty small crowd compared to most years but it was still a lot of fun.

Heather baking away

Hanna
(our little helper for the day)

Jessi adding the whipping cream
to the pumpkin and banana pies

These are a few of the pies we made
Heather had already taken home 3 of hers

Heather made the pies for Matt's family and I made the pies for us and in my family nothing but homemade start from scratch, grind your own flour, collect the eggs from the chicken, better step foot in my Mom's house (okay so I exaggerate a tad bit but seriously we are all about baking from scratch). We started Wednesday at 9:00 a.m. and finished at 5:30 p.m. but it was well worth it and a lot of fun doing it together. Thank goodness Heather is patient because for all of those who know me I expect perfection and when it doesn't look perfect I get frustrated, I want my pies to look like a picture out of a cook book, silly I know.

I have to brag for just a second here so bare with me for a moment. Last year in October I decided that my Mom's family is awesome cooks and we needed a cook book made so I decided to take on the task. Granted it was about a 3 times bigger task then anticipated and the cook book turned out huge but I LOVE IT and it was well worth the time. My Grandma is an amazing cook and she raised three girls who are all amazing cooks, and now they are passing the tradition down to their daughters. Which by the way includes my sister in-laws.

2 comments:

Lacey said...

The pies looked great. I told my mom I would help with the pies, but I would go to Perkins and buy them not make them. You are a good cook.

Trev "N" Dez said...

That looked like tons of fun. You guys have lots going on these days hu? Hey where can I get a hold of that cook book. I need all the help I can get!! Poor Trev!!!! I think even he would pay money for a good family cook book!