Monday, May 28, 2018

The End Of The Road

 After 45 (maybe 47, they can't find the start date lol) years of driving the school bus my Mom is retiring.  From 0-18 the school bus has been a huge part of my life.  To and from school, every field trip and school outing my Mom was there.  I took for granted as a kid how lucky I was my Mom experienced every one of my school adventures with me!  Our week long trip to Yellowstone, countless trips to American Falls for school pictures, Pocatello to the museum, Downetta, Haydens pond, too many to name.  I grew up feeling (and truly believing) my Mom was the safest driver around!  I'm so excited for her to retire and to start her next big adventure!  I love you Mom and I have always been proud to tell people you are The Best Driver there is!  Here is to lots more time for poems, photography, painting and adventures to come!





 The view of our childhoods



Letter of Resignation

Dear Arbon School Board
After many, many,many... years, driving the school bus, the time has come to:
( cue music: ACDC; Highway to... oops wrong song. 
George Strait; This Is Where the Cowboy Rides Away. )
actually retire. I have frequently said, retire just means new tires on the bus. Now after putting over 100,000 miles on 5 different busses, driving braille through blizzards, stopping so kids could watch cranes dance, bald eagles, coyotes, deer, elk, badgers, weasels, hawks, millions of mice, owls...
enjoying beautiful sunrises, sunsets, rainbows and the beautiful valley, it’s time to let someone else enjoy the ride. 
   I have driven field trips to Yellowstone National Park, American Falls dam, the old town, Massacre Rocks, the museum, the zoo, a bakery, pictures. I have learned to ski, sort of. I have cried over dogs, a pet snake, gone through cases of tissues, said, “have a good day,” a million times, and meant it. Watched snotty nosed babies grow into the finest men and women!  
   This job is not for the faint hearted. Keeping a bus on the road, usually, with zero visibility, dodging opening day of deer season road hogs, keeping calm at the sound of a kid loosing lunch, bees dive bombing the kids, refereeing squabbles and watching the road, mirrors and idiots who endanger MY kids. Yes they are all mine when they are on the bus and heaven help anyone who endangers MY kids. 
    Vance and I can’t agree what year we actually started driving the bus. I thought 1972, he says 1969 or 1970.  So at least 45 years. 
   I may not have the most formal education, but I know more than anyone else in the valley, little kids love to talk. Oh, the stories they can tell, their own version of the way it happened. 
   Take time to enjoy the scenery and especially the ones who ride along with you. 
   It’s been a long ride that went by too fast. 

No comments: