Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Hunting

 This year was an exciting year because it was Keagan's first year to go deer hunting. We took the time and went out shooting before the season so she could get used to the gun and shooting at different distances. Needless to say, I think she can out shoot me. We got her all set up and dialed in for any distance between 100 yards and 400 yards. She was great behind the gun and was excited to go out this year. For opening day Kabree took off to school and Keagan, both grandpa's and myself took off to go hunting. We looked for a long time opening day and only saw a few bucks that day. We were not able to get setup so she could shoot before they took off. So the next day we went out in the evening with Eric. We were able to find a small two point and got all set up. I think the excitement and prospect of shooting got Keagan a little bit of buck fever. We were not able to get a shot off that night. So the next morning Keagan, Kabree and I took off to go find her something to shoot. We were able to find a buck that morning and Keagan was able to get off one shot before it disappeared into the trees. We were not successful on that attempt but it gave Keagan the confidence she need for that night. We found some deer and hiked to get within 350 yards from them. We got Keagan all set up and ready for the shot, and BINGO she drilled it! It was right at dark and so when we got up to the blood trail I decided to wait till morning because there was not much to follow. The next morning we (Kabree and I) got up early, hiked up the mountain again and found her deer. She was pretty exhausted from the previous three days of hiking, so I let her (Keagan) sleep in. We (Kabree and I) got the deer drug out and home so we could get a good picture with her and her deer. I was so excited that she was able to tagged out on this buck and have a some true hunting experiences.




  Now that Keagan had tagged out, I told Kabree that she would be able to shoot something now. Well, we went out a couple of evenings and didn't see anything but does. But we got the chance to go out on Friday morning with Vance and we were able to find a 4 point feeding with some does. Because of the area that they were the closest we could get was 650 yards. That was too much distance for Kabree to shoot her gun (.243 Win), so she decided that she would shoot my new gun (.300 Win Mag). I got it all set up and dailed in for her, she made the shot and he only ran about 30 yards. She has been able to shoot now 4 deer, with 4 bullets and 4 years in a row. Needless to say, I am sure that both of my girls have better control and shooting abilities than I do. I am glad that both of my girls were able to tag out on their deer and we had a great experience with both hunts! As for me, I still have not shot anything for the past couple years but I know that my gun is a killer if the right person pulls the trigger.  Now the pressure is on for me if I shoot.

No comments: